Making your own audition video for the Britten–Pears Programme
All musicians who apply to the Britten–Pears Programme need to make an audition video. If you’re unable to get professional help doing this, and you’re feeling a bit overwhelmed, don’t worry – you don’t need lots of specialist equipment to make a decent audition, in fact with a bit of care and planning you can do it with just a couple of smartphones. Here’s a quick list of tips to help you get started:
• Video recording device (phone, tablet, camera, webcam)
• Basic video editing software (iMovie, Windows Moviemaker)
• A seperate device to record audio (microphone, Zoom, phone, tablet)
Making the recording
• Find a friend to be your camera man/button presser
• Find a quiet room that you can use for 30mins – 1 hour
• Tidy up the space behind you if it needs it – clutter can distract visually.
• Think about your lighting – natural light is best, ideally side-on to a window. If you have a lot of light coming from behind you, you’ll be much harder to see in the final recording.
• Setup your video device, making sure you are clearly in shot
• If using an audio device as well, set this up a sensible distance away. Making a couple of test recordings should help you find the right balance of being loud enough without distorting.
• Record your intro, excerpts and pieces. They do not need to be done in one continuous take, you can shoot each seperately and edit together later.
• Stitch together the audio/video (and different takes if needed) in your editing software – simple captions are fine, don’t overshadow your performance with fancy presentation
• Upload your video to Acceptd!
TOP TIP: If recording on two devices, clap your hands before you start to make a clear sound that can be used to sync together the audio and video.
We hope that helps. If there’s anything else you’re stuck with regarding your application, please get in touch – email@example.com.
If you’re interested in applying for the 2017 Britten–Pears Young Artist Programme, there’s still time – find out more about next year’s programme